New Laws That May Affect You
Then suddenly the shipments stopped.
We soon learned that Arizona law forbade interstate shipments from large wineries like Baron Herzog. But, on August 6, 2016, a new law became effective that allows Arizonans to order wine by phone or on-line from out-of-state wineries and have the wine delivered directly to their homes or businesses. The wineries must apply for licenses which the liquor department must issue by January 1, 2017. So now, a large winery like Baron Herzog can resume its shipments of wine into this state and perhaps, we can once again become members of their wine club.
There are some other laws that took effect this month that may have a significant effect on our daily lives or how we do business:
- Before this month only office potlucks were exempt from inspection and licensing by the Arizona Department of Health Services. Now all potlucks are exempt, so hosts of home-based potlucks need not fear an unwelcome knock on their door.
- Drones that interfere with law enforcement efforts will subject their flyers to criminal prosecution.
- Cities can lower speed limits around parks, not just schools.
- Senate Bill 1216 doubles the amount that individuals can claim for a donation to a qualified charity. The deductible amount is now $400 for an individual and $800 for a married couple filing jointly.
- Short-term rentals by companies like Airbnb are no longer illegal.
- Children who are victims of crimes may now be accompanied by a facility dog while testifying in court.
- School gardens are no longer subject to regulation by the Arizona Department of Health Services.
The information contained herein is general information not legal advice. E-mailing attorneys from this website does NOT establish an attorney/client relationship. A formal attorney/client relationship begins after a conflicts check and engagement agreement are signed.
All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 2004-2020 Hymson Goldstein Pantiliat & Lohr, PLLC
ARIZONA - 14500 N. Northsight Blvd. Suite 101 Scottsdale, AZ 85260 Phone 480-991-9077 Fax 480-443-8854
NEW YORK - 525 Chestnut Street, Suite 203 Cedarhurst, NY 11516 Phone 516-596-8366 Fax 480-443-8854